Guidelines for submissions
We get hundreds of books for review each month and we need to keep our system in place. These guidelines are to help us provide a service for you in an efficient manner. Please help us by following the guidelines.
Who are the reviewers?
Our reviewers are avid readers who are volunteers, that give personal opinions of what they read. Please consider them as your reading audience. We cannot guarantee a favorable review, however, we can guarantee a review where the reviewer gives his or her own honest and fair assessment of your work. Please do not ask us not to post a review if you don't like it; we believe in freedom of speech and it would be unethical of us to tell the reviewers their opinion isn't accepted. If you don't want an honest review, please don't ask for one. Our reviewers are private, independent reviewers, and in no way affiliated with Reader Views other than providing reviews. The reviewers receive free books and are not paid to provide reviews. The reviewers accept your book for free and review it with no obligation to get remunerated.
How to submit for a review
If you are seeking our basic review service for an adult or kid's book, galley, or ARC, please send your publication to: Please do not send the submission form.
Reader Views (or Reader Views Kids)
6705 Hwy 290 W. Ste 502-255
Austin, TX 78735
Be sure to include your contact information, including an email address. The request must be in publication form (book, galley, ARC, CD, DVD.) If you just send us your publication and do not include your contact information (including an email address,) it will automatically go into the "donate" pile.
Do not send us your sell sheets and/or press release suggesting we review your book. We will not respond. Do not send queries through email to obtain a review. We will not respond.
Please purchase a tracking number so you know we received your book. We do not have staff available to search our records to see if we received your book for review.
What happens after you submit for a review
After we receive your submission form for a Publicity Package, we will consider the title for review and let you know of our decision. If we accept your title for review and publicity you will be notified where to send your book. Be sure you sign up for review updates.
If you are mailing your book for our regular review service, we will post it on the pending review page after we accept it. If it is chosen for review it will be moved to the coming soon. If it disappears from the pending page and isn't on the coming soon page, this will indicate that your book was not chosen for a review. After 90 days the books are removed from the list and donated to a local charity.
What do you get?
- In the regular review package you will receive a review and a tear sheet will be provided in PDF format. You can use the review in whole or excerpts with credit given to the reviewer and Reader Views or Reader Views Kids.
- f you purchase a Publicity Package, you will receive the complete package as noted. For details see Review Services.
- All reviews will be posted on our website for 5 years.
Items not listed on Amazon
- There is a $10.00 advertising fee for each book, audio CD, or DVD that is not listed on Amazon. The fee covers linking to the author's storefront. You are not purchasing a review, nor does paying the fee guarantee a good review. If you have more than one book, or you have an eBook, please contact us for special provisions.
- Payment must be made prior to the title being sent to the reviewer. You only pay if your item will be reviewed. Payment may be made through PayPal or check/money order here.
- Advertising fee will cover the listing up to 5 years on Reader Views or Reader Views Kids. The listing will only be removed when you ask to have it removed.
- A link will be created from the review to the storefront for the item.
- If you choose sign up for a Publicity Package, your advertising fee will be waived.
The other option is to enter your book into our literary awards program. All books will receive a critique/review, however, we can't promise when this will happen. We will attempt to have the book reviewed/judged soon after we receive it. Keep in mind, the sooner you apply into the award program, the sooner we will be able to process it. Leaving it to the last minute (November/December) will delay your critique/review.
Other important stuff that's necessary to know
- Do not contact the reviewers regarding referrals to publishers/agents or any other publishing or reviewing concerns. Doing so may void your review. If you have any questions please contact Reader Views.
- We do not post the reviews on Amazon.com, Amazon in Canada or Amazon in UK because we have been banned along with many other review sites, individual readers, and bloggers. We are in direct competition with their CreateSpace paid review service. More information here. Do not ask the reviewer to post the review under their personal account on Amazon.com. If they post the review they are also subject to be banned. Asking the reviewer to post the review will void it. You may post an excerpt under Editorial Reviews on Amazon.com. Instructions here.
- All publications sent for review become the property of the reviewer from Reader Views. Your publication will not be returned. In most cases the reviewers keep the publication, especially if it is autographed or dedicated to them, or donate it to a library or nonprofit organization.
- Please do not contact us asking if we received your book. We highly recommend that you receive a tracking number from the service you use to send the book to us for review. This way you will know if and when your book is received. You may also check the pending list to see if your book was accepted. Please note: it may take a week or two before it ends up on the list. If a reviewer picks your book to review, it will be moved to the coming soon list. If no one picks your book within 90 days it will be donated to a charity. To prevent this, we highly recommend to a Publicity Package.
- If you requested a Publicity Package, please do not ask us to contact your publisher or publicist to request the book for review. You are requesting a review from us and it is your responsibility to get the book to the reviewer in a timely manner. Your submission is subject to being cancelled if you ask us to request your book. We will also cancel the submission request if the book is not received by the reviewer (in the case of a Publicity Package) within two weeks of requesting it. Our reviewers are on a reviewing schedule and if your book misses the queue, it will not be reviewed.
- If you requested a Publicity Package and sent in the submission form you will be contacted when your form is received. At that time, we will respond to you with the name and address of the reviewer and you will be asked to send the publication directly to him or her.
- If you requested a Publicity Package, please send the book immediately upon receipt of name/address of the reviewer. Our reviewers on a timeline and a delay will cause them to lose the opportunity of other book to review.
- Read tips on getting your title accepted for review and what to do after accepted.
What else do I need to know?
Interested but can't afford the publicity package right now? Please don't let budget challenges delay the publicity of your book. We are here to help you! We can easily come up with a payment plan. Contact us.
Thank you for getting to this point. We realize the guidelines are LONG, but we feel giving you the information upfront is of utmost importance.